JOB TITLE: Power i Technical Specialist
REPORTS TO: BUSINESS UNIT MANAGER
The primary responsibility of the Power i Technical Specialist is leadership in the implementation, upgrading, maintenance and troubleshooting of Power i hardware and software for DMC customers. The position requires skills in five key areas:
- Customer Satisfaction
- Technical Expertise
- Project Leadership
- DMC Responsibilities
The Power i Technical Specialist will usually be the primary “hands on” resource responsible for the successful completion of the project and customer satisfaction.
DMC’s customers have a right to expect:
- Systems will be designed to specifications, thoroughly tested and properly documented.
- Systems will be completed within budget and on schedule, unless there are changes to the scope of effort.
- Work will be planned and progress and problems will be documented.
- Changes to plans will be reported and reviewed.
- Alternative solutions will be provided to the customer for review and approval.
- A professional, cooperative attitude.
The Power i Technical Specialist is expected to work in a group setting as well as a “stand alone” setting in the following technical areas and share knowledge with other DMC employees.
- Operate and maintain a current, working knowledge of the Power i architecture.
- Provide pre-sale expertise on configuration of server hardware and software. Will require gathering specifications and creating configurations with IBM System Planning Tool and Tech Data R2O.
- Configure and install Power i hard drives, memory, cache batteries, cards, etc.
- Configure and install Power i machines.
- Order, prepare and install cumulative PTFs, Group PTFs and Individual PTFs.
- Configure RAID and Mirroring.
- Configure LPARs using iHost.
- Configure LPARs using VIOS.
- Configure Lan Console.
- Configure HMC.
- Perform OS Upgrades.
- Perform migrations/upgrades from Power i to Power i.
- Installation and configuration of iSeries Access for Windows and Access Client Solutions.
- Understand, create and maintain user profiles, subsystems, job queues, output queues, job descriptions, printer configurations.
- Understand and implement backup strategies with native Power i commands or BRMS.
- System troubleshooting.
- Ability to estimate projects and tasks.
- Configure, install and support MIMIX, HA4i, or other High Availability Solutions.
- Configure, install and support eVault or another similar Solution.
- Train, mentor and review the work of less experienced personnel.
- Achieve IBM certifications for Power and Storage products.
- In carrying out these technical skills, weekend and evening work is required.
The Power i Technical Specialist will have independent responsibility for design, development, testing, and implementation of Power I Systems. The Power i Technical Specialist should be able to:
- Develop and maintain a detailed work plan, schedule and cost estimate for a Power i projects.
- Explain tasks to DMC and customer personnel.
- Identify and communicate the impact of proposed solutions.
- Identify and communicate the impact of project changes.
Clear, effective written and oral communications are necessary for a good relationship with clients, supervisors, and DMC administrative personnel. The Power i Technical Specialist is expected to:
- Provide clear, adequate documentation for all projects.
- Provide supervisors (and clients if appropriate) written confirmation of project plans, changes, and problems.
- Effectively present solutions to technical problems.
- Provide sales/marketing assistance as required.
DMC employee responsibilities
DMC expects all employees to:
- Follow DMC administrative procedures for completion of time sheets and expense reports.
- These reports must be:
- Maintain a positive, cooperative attitude towards DMC’s goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Organize time to maximize the productive time working on client projects.
- Share skills and techniques with other DMC personnel.
- Develop the analytical skills and judgement needed to:
- Understand requirements or problems
- Determine objectives
- Generate alternative solutions
- Evaluate the situation and select a solution
- Develop a workplan to implement the solution
If problems develop in any of these areas, discussions must be held with the immediate supervisor.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org